Wednesday 12 August 2015

Review star jar

Since starting this blog I’ve been spending more time at my desk than I used to. What was once a storage surface for all manner of junk and very boring letters about insurance is now something resembling a constructive environment and I take every opportunity to make it look pretty.

Taking inspiration from the very lovely Anna over at Enchanted by YA, I’ve started a book review star jar. Basically, I have two jars, one full of origami wishing stars, the other currently full of fairy lights. The plan is that for every book I read, one star moves over to the light jar. Let's see how long it takes me to fill it!


I already have loads of these stars thanks to being a bit of a crafter on the side. I went through a spate of requests for gifts for house moves, graduations, weddings etc so had literally hundreds in every colour. These guys are the left overs!

This picture represents many broken nails!
I’ll be tying the star jar in with my book reviews by colour to give me a visual on how the reviews are going and when I’m slacking, or just suck at picking good books!

Red = one star review. Hopefully there won’t be too many of these!
Green = two star review.
Yellow = three star review.
Blue = four star review.
Gold = five star review. I’m hoping for lots of these (even though these guys are a pain to make because of the foil paper)!



10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I absolutely love this idea! I think I'm going to have to look into doing this myself. It's a great way to combine books and crafts together :) Hopefully you'll give us some pictures of your jar as you review more books!

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do Erika, though I think it's going to take me a while to fill it, very much a work in progress!

      Delete
  2. I've never been able to manage the stars--I can make butterflies and fortune tellers but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to figure out how to make them, I used a Youtube tutorial in the end. This is the one I used - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6MS4SAKOR0. I think once you make a few it's really easy, I was making them while watching TV most of the time.

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a cool idea! I love bookish crafts and might have to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Give it a try, origami's quite therapeutic when you're stressed out.

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award :) Details here: http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I've seen posts about book review jars & have often thought it'd be fun to make one but you're taking it to a whole other level, totally awesome :) Those little stars look incredibly small, how long does it take you to make just one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jen! It only takes about 20 seconds to make one once you've got the hang of it. I'd sit making a pile while watching tv.

    ReplyDelete